The Association of the Friends of the Greek Island and the Sea
The intrusion of commercialisation, mass tourism and other negative influences are endangering local culture, values and traditions on the Greek islands.
The Association of The Friends of the Greek Island and the Sea was established
as a non profit organization in 1992 by a group of friends concerned for the future cultural development of the children of Greek islands due to their geographical isolation.
- To offer island children, remote from the cultural centres of the Greek mainland, the opportunity to maintain their traditions and to learn music and art, to attend concerts and other cultural events on the mainland.
- To research and study the preservation of local traditions and the environment.
- To raise the awareness of the value of popular and local tradition.
- To raise the awareness and pride of the islanders, especially the younger generation in their own history, traditions and environment and to encourage their desire to preserve these.
All this is achieved with the co-operation and support of local authorities and cultural associations, and is also funded by sponsorship.
- Lectures, exhibitions, seminars on traditional culture and other subjects.
- National and international exchange between organisations of similar interest.
- The establishment of high standard workshops for classical music, art and other cultural activities for children of all ages throughout the school year. Teachers travel from the mainland at least twice a month to run these workshops. Concerts are held locally at the end of every school year. Children have given concerts in Athens and on other islands. Up to now seven islands have taken part in this programme.
- Exchanges of concerts and exhibitions are specifically encouraged between islands whenever possible in order to learn, share and appreciate each others culture and tradition.
- A painting competition, with a specific relevant theme, is held annually. The winning pictures, up to now, have been included in the association's annual publication and from now on will be included on this website. Exhibitions have also been organised in various parts of Greece.
- Donations of books are sent to school and children's libraries.